Patient records are rapidly growing in volume, driven by increasing acceptance and adoption of electronic medical records. While storing the information electronically holds the promise of improving care, this promise can only be realized when healthcare professionals are enabled to use the data in efficient and meaningful ways.
- Current software tools do not enable healthcare professionals to efficiently organize and retrieve relevant information from large volumes of multi-source data
- As per the government provided guidelines (“Meaningful use objectives and measures”), providers are incentivized to not only capture patient record electronically but to also “exchange key clinical information” with other providers
- The need to work with the patient history raises 3 key challenges:
- Efficiently find the most relevant medical Information
- Multi-source data be organized as one patient record
- Remotely and securely access the information
- The promise of improving care can best be realized when data is used in efficient and meaningful ways